Skip to main content

Carrying Our Burdens



I stumbled into church Sunday morning a whopping 7 minutes before the service started, and I was feeling pretty good about that accomplishment.  I wandered over to my typical, might-as-well-be assigned, seat in the back corner and dropped my purse onto the chair, but before I could even sit down, I was intercepted by a great friend whose mother-in-law in the hospital with end stage vascular disease.  His wife has been camped out at the hospital with her mom for the last 10 days or so, and he was at church with the family and extended family.  I hadn’t heard an update for the morning, yet, so he quickly filled me in on the night and the exhaustion they all were feeling.  I’ve sat in that same hospital, in those same rooms, and even worked with those same surgeons, and as he explained all the things happening in that hospital, I felt that weight on my own shoulders from my own hours in their shoes. 


Before he even finished updating me, a friend from bible study stopped beside us.  We haven’t really talked much in real life, just interacted a bit in our online bible study, but she spent those few minutes before the service talking to me about the pain and heartache she was feeling over a devastating relationship.  And, again, I listened, and again I felt the weight of her pain as I remembered my own similar experiences.  


Finally, I managed to actually sit down, and right as the service started, two friends came in and plopped down, one on each side of me.  To my left was my soul sister since birth.  Seriously, I think we share a brain sometimes.  Two months ago, she buried her 24 yr old step-daughter.  And that is a grief unlike any other.  And, to my right was another trench friend who goes home everyday to her husband who suffered a brain injury in a motorcycle accident just months after my parents’ motorcycle accident and my own mom’s brain injury.  


As the band started playing and we started singing, “Nothing is Better than you, God,” tears slowly came.  Then, when we sang, “You take what the enemy meant for evil, and you use it for good,” I raised my hands and claimed that promise for all of these situations.  And, finally, when we ended with “I’ve seen you move, you move the mountains, and I believe, I’ll see you do it again.  You made a way, where there was no way, and I believe, you’re gonna do it again,” I looked across the church and saw my friend who leaned on that song and those promises as she buried her dad a year ago, and I claimed that promise once again.  


Not for me.  

Not for my own life.

Not for my own problems.

Not for my own issues.

But for all of these friends God placed in my path this morning.


And, I’m convinced that’s what healing looks like.


Here’s the thing, I love worship.  I love music.  I have always felt closest to God and connected to God through music.  But, today was different because today I wasn’t praying these lyrics for myself.  I wasn’t claiming these promises for myself.  I wasn’t hopeful for myself.  My life and my problems seemed so incredibly insignificant compared to the weight my people are carrying.  I can’t tell you the last time I felt that.  I can’t tell you the last time I carried the weight of someone else’s burden because my own burdens have been too heavy for even me to carry at times.  But, today, my own burdens felt light, and my friends’ felt heavy, and my only desire was to try to lift and carry that burden even just a little bit for them.  


In Colossians 3:12-14, Paul says, “You are always and dearly loved by God! So robe yourself with virtues of God, since you have been divinely chosen to be holy. Be merciful as you endeavor to understand others, and be compassionate, showing kindness toward all. Be gentle and humble, unoffendable in your patience with others. Tolerate the weaknesses of those in the family of faith, forgiving one another in the same way you have been graciously forgiven by Jesus Christ. If you find fault with someone, release this same gift of forgiveness to them. For love is supreme and must flow through each of these virtues. Love becomes the mark of true maturity” (TPT). We are called to clothe ourselves with the virtues of God, to be merciful in our understanding, to be compassionate and kind, to be gentle and humble, to be unoffendable in our patience with others.  In all of these virtues, though, there must be love.  I always served well; I could work.  I’ve always been more task-oriented than people-oriented.  I could do stuff, and I could do it well.  But, I was never good at the loving part.  I could show mercy, but not out of love.  I could be kind, but not because of love.  I could be gentle, but not if love.  It’s only been in the last several years that I have truly grasped what it means to love one another and to carry each other’s burdens.  


And I don’t think I’m the only one.


I served for so many years with so many people who were just like me--who served in various capacities because it was “the right thing to do,” or because it made them look good, or for the pat on the back or the jewel in their crown.  They “did” a lot, but they loved very little.  I “did” a lot, but I loved very little.  My schedule looks nothing like it did then.  I “do” much less, but I love so much more.  I spend less time rushing around and more time sitting on the porch listening.  I spend less time front and center and more time holding space for the people behind the scenes.  I spend less time running, and more time being still with the people who need me to be still with them.  


I think sometimes we confuse bearing fruit with being busy.  Our society perpetuates the non-stop lifestyle, even in our churches, but I’m learning that genuinely loving people and carrying each other’s burdens doesn’t support that at all.  I’m learning that bearing fruit happens in the quiet moments as often as it does in the loud ones, that love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control have more to do with relationships than with being busy.


As I look back over the past year, I am amazed at the mountains God has moved in my life and the giants God has dropped right in front of me.  My problems today seem so minute compared to my problems a year ago, and I’m grateful that God has placed me in a position today to be able to carry my friends’ burdens because they have carried mine for years.  And, I am humbled that God would place me here with these people who have loved me so unconditionally for so long, even when I didn’t know how to love myself or begin to truly love them back.


Maybe you find yourself in a position today where you need someone to carry your burden for you, where you are in the midst of the heartache and the chaos and can’t even begin to manage to carry your own burden.  If that’s you, I pray that God will place the people in your life who understand what it means to show love through their compassion, mercy, gentleness, humility, and patience.  And, if you find yourself in a position to serve, I pray that you do it well in love, that you carry the burdens of your people in love through your own compassion, mercy, gentleness, humility, and patience, that you truly clothe yourself with these virtues of God in love.


Until next time...



Comments

  1. So good, the compassion to take each other's load and realising that real relationships take time - and that is love! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are Enough

Middle School Angst I met her in 7th grade. Her name was Angie. And she hated me. And that is a problem when your class is a whopping 100 kids, and you only have one honors class for each subject. Thank God she wasn’t musical at all, or we probably would have had every single class together in junior high and maybe even high school. She didn’t go out of her way to be mean to me; she just made it blatantly obvious that she hated me whenever she got the chance. You know, run of the mill 90s girl drama before social media (thank you, Jesus, for that small blessing). I survived middle school with Angie, and we moved on to high school. We had many of the same friends, but I took more of the sporty, involved route, and she took more of the rebel, party route. We still had tons of classes together, and she still expressed her hatred of me whenever she had the chance, still with no explanation. Finally, during my junior year, we were in a club together, and we were elected Pre

Bitter or Better?

Orange is, in Fact, NOT the New Black I walked into a birthday party a few days after getting out of prison, only to be met with shock--not because I was there, but because I was there and looked like a normal human being.  These were people I have known my whole life, and the consistent theme of the night was, “you look so good.” To be completely honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of it during the evening.  No, it wasn’t until I walked into church the next morning and again was met with the same looks of shock and the same comments of, “wow, you look so good.” Now, by this point, I have to admit, I started to get a bit of a complex.  I was definitely wondering how terrible I must have looked before I went to prison for everyone to be so amazed at the fact that I am tan, healthy, and rested!   And then it hit me. People were amazed at how I looked because, in reality, we have no idea what prison is actually like!  We know what tv and the media tell us pri

Not Today, Satan: Remembering the Truth in the Midst of Satan's Lies

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Other Lies we tell Kids: I ’m not sure if I ever believed in Santa. Growing up, my family members were professional sarcasm slingers and outstanding kings of creativity.  Consequently, it took immense amounts of discernment to actually know when the truth was being told. I spent years with my brother telling me I was adopted and from a different planet.  I think it might have been his sole purpose in life to destroy every one of my childhood paradigms! So, you can imagine what he did with Santa.   I was probably around five or six when he systematically tore apart every detail of the Santa myth for me.  I don’t know how much I actually believed in Santa at that point, but I know that I was done after that! What’s funny about this, is that he spent hours of our childhood trying to convince me of all of these random tales my parents would have killed him for, but when he had the opportunity to expand on the Santa tale, he chose to break it a