Skip to main content

Let 'Em Dance



Let Her Dance!
I was sitting in church today, and there was a little girl in front of me, probably five or six years old.  When the lights dimmed and the band started playing, she hopped up and started dancing through her row. As we sang Great are you Lord, she danced.  She twirled and flowed, extending her arms, looking toward heaven, and dancing uninhibited as the picture of innocence and grace.  

I saw her mom doing that thing we do as mothers, watching, waiting, trying to determine when to intervene.  And, secretly, I prayed that her mom would just let her dance. Toward the end of the song, I noticed her mom getting a little fidgety, glancing over at her daughter more and more often.  By the end of the song, her mom had leaned over and whispered for the little girl to sit down. “No,” I thought, “let her dance!” As the second song started, the little girl glanced over at her mom and noticed she wasn’t paying attention, so up she sprang again, and her dancing continued.  Again, it was beautiful as she flitted through her row uninhibited, exemplifying exactly what I picture true, unadulterated praise looks like. Again, I saw her mom start to intervene, and I prayed she would let her dance. Finally, mom must have given up and decided not to choose this battle because the little girl continued to dance throughout the rest of the worship service.

I sat behind them and let my tears flow as I wrestled with my emotions.  While I was in prison, praise dancing was one of the ministries. I loved the ministries in prison anyway because there is nothing quite like women who have hit rock bottom but encountered Jesus while they were down there praising God with their talents.  But, there was just something about the praise dancers, these women who were literally using their entire beings as vessels for worship that just moved me every time they ministered. So, to see this little, innocent girl dancing with all of her being brought back such intense emotion.  My heart had already been heavy this week for the ladies celebrating Thanksgiving behind the fence, but this little girl, today, was a reminder that God is working and moving through them regardless of where they might be in life right now. Not only is good moving in them, but they are offering their entire beings as worship to God, just like this little girl this morning.

And I think that’s a good reminder for us all.

Undignified
The Old Testament stories of David are some of our favorite Sunday School Stories.  We talk about his friendship with Jonathan, his patience with Saul, and of course, his slaying of Goliath.  But, I think there’s another story of David we should pause to remember. In II Samuel 6, David went to the house of Obed-Edom to bring the Ark of the Covenant into the city, and he went “with rejoicing.”  “When those who were carrying the ark of the Lord had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets” (vs 13-15).  David began his worship before he even arrived at the place where the ark of the covenant was, but he was dancing before the lord with all his might when he was in the presence of his God. He had stripped off all his titles, all of his royalty, and was dancing in his linen ephod--humbling him to the level of a common man in the presence of his God.  Can you even imagine what that must have been like for David and his people. Here was the King, the very man anointed by God, the very man referred to again and again as a man after God’s own heart, stripped bare before them and God, so that God could become more and he could become less in his worship of his creator. And when he was confronted by his wife, Micahl, Saul’s daughter, for appearing as a commoner before his people and specifically slave girls, David responds, saying: “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord.  I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.” Wow. David understood the praise and honor God deserves. David understood his reputation, his honor, and his status was nothing in comparison to the power and glory of God. He was not ashamed to become less than, to become undignified in the eyes of his wife and the royals, in order to honor and elevate his God.  

What might our worship look like if we strip ourselves bare of our pretense, image, reputation, and dignity for the sake of glorifying our God?

What might our worship look like if we quit worrying about who’s around us, whether we should stand or sit, and what people will think if we raise our hands?

What might our worship look like if we commit to becoming even more undignified than David so that God can become more and we can become less?

What might our worship look like if we truly understand our reputation, honor, and status are nothing in comparison to that or our God?

Maybe it’s time for us to become just a little more undignified in our worship, to be just a little more free in our praise and adoration of our creator, and to use our whole beings as vessels of worship for our Lord and Savior--

No matter where we are.
No matter what our circumstances are.
No matter who is around us.
No matter who is watching us.
No matter who is judging us.
No matter who thinks they are better than us.
No matter who thinks they are more righteous and holy than us.
No matter what we have done.
No matter how holy we are.
No matter how much power we have.
No matter what.

Dancing in Your Underwear:
I would be lying to you if I said church has been easy for me for the past three months.  I had such freedom worshipping behind the fence with a congregation of broken women marginalized by and on the fringes of society.  There were no pretenses, no reputations, no judgments there. But, organized worship on this side of the fence after being behind the fence has been a challenge for me because I’ve been the person too concerned about who is around me, too worried about what people will think if I raise my hands, and too distracted by everyone around me.  My attitude has been more like Michal’s than David’s. But, today, I am declaring that it is time for me to become even more undignified than this, to strip off all that is keeping me from humbly and reverentially worshipping my creator, even if it means that I will be humiliated in my own eyes like David. And, I pray that this becomes your attitude as well.  

What about you?  What’s holding you back?  What do you need to strip off in order to worship your creator unhindered?  I pray that as you walk into worship next Sunday, you will walk in rejoicing, just like David did when he went to retrieve the ark of the covenant, and I pray that when you enter God’s presence through worship, you will dance before the Lord with all your might, just like David did before his God and his people, just like those women did when I was behind the fence, and just like that little girl did in front of me this morning.

**I don’t suggest dancing in your underwear during corporate worship--unless you’re trying to end up behind the fence**

Until next time, my friends...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are Enough

Middle School Angst I met her in 7th grade. Her name was Angie. And she hated me. And that is a problem when your class is a whopping 100 kids, and you only have one honors class for each subject. Thank God she wasn’t musical at all, or we probably would have had every single class together in junior high and maybe even high school. She didn’t go out of her way to be mean to me; she just made it blatantly obvious that she hated me whenever she got the chance. You know, run of the mill 90s girl drama before social media (thank you, Jesus, for that small blessing). I survived middle school with Angie, and we moved on to high school. We had many of the same friends, but I took more of the sporty, involved route, and she took more of the rebel, party route. We still had tons of classes together, and she still expressed her hatred of me whenever she had the chance, still with no explanation. Finally, during my junior year, we were in a club together, and we were elected Pre

Bitter or Better?

Orange is, in Fact, NOT the New Black I walked into a birthday party a few days after getting out of prison, only to be met with shock--not because I was there, but because I was there and looked like a normal human being.  These were people I have known my whole life, and the consistent theme of the night was, “you look so good.” To be completely honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of it during the evening.  No, it wasn’t until I walked into church the next morning and again was met with the same looks of shock and the same comments of, “wow, you look so good.” Now, by this point, I have to admit, I started to get a bit of a complex.  I was definitely wondering how terrible I must have looked before I went to prison for everyone to be so amazed at the fact that I am tan, healthy, and rested!   And then it hit me. People were amazed at how I looked because, in reality, we have no idea what prison is actually like!  We know what tv and the media tell us pri

Not Today, Satan: Remembering the Truth in the Midst of Satan's Lies

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Other Lies we tell Kids: I ’m not sure if I ever believed in Santa. Growing up, my family members were professional sarcasm slingers and outstanding kings of creativity.  Consequently, it took immense amounts of discernment to actually know when the truth was being told. I spent years with my brother telling me I was adopted and from a different planet.  I think it might have been his sole purpose in life to destroy every one of my childhood paradigms! So, you can imagine what he did with Santa.   I was probably around five or six when he systematically tore apart every detail of the Santa myth for me.  I don’t know how much I actually believed in Santa at that point, but I know that I was done after that! What’s funny about this, is that he spent hours of our childhood trying to convince me of all of these random tales my parents would have killed him for, but when he had the opportunity to expand on the Santa tale, he chose to break it a