Skip to main content

Confession: The Importance of Being Honest



Confession:  The Importance of Being Honest

I’m a terrible liar.
Seriously.
An absolutely terrible liar.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: This blog series is called “Lessons from Behind the Fence.”  You just got out of prison. How can you be a terrible liar?  Yes, yes, all those things are correct, but so is the fact that I am a terrible liar.  If I even try to lie, I get caught. 


I had an affair.  
I tried to lie.  
I got caught. 

And, honestly, if I could lie at all, I would never have even gone to prison!  Shoot, I was in the room with the detectives for less than 30 seconds before I completely told on myself.  And, just like in all the cheesy tv dramas, the detectives had nothing.  


But they were great liars.
And, I am a terrible liar.

To be perfectly honest with you, though, I’m glad I’m a terrible liar.  It seems like everywhere I turn, I am faced with liars: in relationships, the church, the workplace, and especially prison. And, it just seems like an exhausting way to live.  It must be absolutely overwhelming to attempt to keep all of your lies straight, to remember what story you told to which person, and to attempt to manage all that chaos!  

But people do it all the time.
And it always backfires.
It always ends up catching up with them.

I Didn’t Do It!



x


Within the first few hours of being in prison, I learned that I might be one of the only guilty people actually behind the fence.  At least, I was one of the only people who actually owned and acknowledged my guilt. I can’t tell you the amount of times I would sit and listen to people talk and rationalize every single one of their decisions and justify all of their actions, ultimately declaring themselves innocent.

Even when they clearly weren’t.  

It almost became a game to me after some time.  I would listen to people tell stories and just wait until they were done because, ultimately, they would always turn to me and ask about my situation.  And, I would always say, “Oh, no. I did it. I’m completely guilty.” And, it was so interesting to watch people respond because the reality of our world today is that we don’t typically take responsibility for our actions. So, most of the time, people didn’t even know what to say.  And, instead, they would launch into some nervous dissertation about how I had been wronged and everything I should do about it. It was honestly comical because I would sit and listen to everyone else rationalizing my decisions, justifying my actions, and ultimately declaring me innocent!  Even though I clearly wasn’t and had already openly confessed my guilt!

Back BP (before prison), although I couldn’t lie, I tried really hard to tell little white lies and distort the truth.  See, I hated being wrong. I hated messing up. I hated for people to be disappointed in me. So, whenever I was faced with a situation where I thought I risked one of those things, I would attempt to find a way to spin the situation with little white lies so that I wouldn’t be wrong, mess up, or disappoint anyone.  And, you know what? It really was incredibly exhausting!

But, you know what I learned from having my worst mistake put on blast on the front page of the newspaper?  There is freedom in confession.
There is freedom in truth.

And, something about that experience changed my entire perspective on the whole concept of confession.

I John 1:9 says: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

I honestly can’t tell you how many times I have heard that scripture in my life, but it became real to me, almost tangible, while I was behind the fence.  

And here’s why
I grew up in the church.  I memorized the plan of salvation as I learned to talk.  I knew confession was part of God’s plan for salvation. But, I think I missed how very vital confession is to our relationship with God.  

We have to be able to confess our mistakes, to admit our wrongs, to acknowledge our shortcomings in order for our Father to forgive us and purify us.  We have to acknowledge the need for forgiveness, and to do that, we have to admit when we are wrong.  We know that God’s strength is made perfect in our weakness, but how can God’s strength ever be made perfect if we can’t even acknowledge our own weakness?

Think about that for just a minute. 
How can God’s strength truly be made perfect in our weakness if we never even acknowledge our weakness?  There are so many broken people in the world today who are too proud to ever even begin to own their brokenness.  They are too worried about disappointing anyone to confess their mistakes. They are too focused on maintaining an image to ever own their own shortcomings.  

And that is an exhausting way to live.

Pride Comes Before a Fall
There are so many warnings against pride throughout scripture, and I have to believe that this obsession we have with rationalizing, justifying, and just plain lying all comes back to our own pride.  Swallowing our pride means admitting we are wrong. Swallowing our pride means confessing our sins. Swallowing our pride means acknowledging our weakness.  

There is freedom and strength in the simple act of acknowledging and confessing my mistakes, and that confession has become so much easier than the laborious task of justifying and rationalizing them.  In fact, I have found that a simple apology is much better than a fabricated explanation.

And I have to think these are all reasons why confession is so important to our relationship with our Father. God’s not interested in our excuses, justifications, or rationalizations. He is much more concerned with our acknowledgment and our apologies.  Because it isn’t until we acknowledge and apologize for our shortcomings and weaknesses that we can move into repentance and truly make a change.

Friends, my challenge for you today is to acknowledge, accept, and confess your mistakes, no matter how small they might be.  My challenge is for you to worry more about your growth and relationship with the Father than disappointing others or maintaining an image.  My challenge is for you to swallow your pride enough to say, “ I was wrong. I’m sorry.”  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are Enough

Middle School Angst I met her in 7th grade. Her name was Angie. And she hated me. And that is a problem when your class is a whopping 100 kids, and you only have one honors class for each subject. Thank God she wasn’t musical at all, or we probably would have had every single class together in junior high and maybe even high school. She didn’t go out of her way to be mean to me; she just made it blatantly obvious that she hated me whenever she got the chance. You know, run of the mill 90s girl drama before social media (thank you, Jesus, for that small blessing). I survived middle school with Angie, and we moved on to high school. We had many of the same friends, but I took more of the sporty, involved route, and she took more of the rebel, party route. We still had tons of classes together, and she still expressed her hatred of me whenever she had the chance, still with no explanation. Finally, during my junior year, we were in a club together, and we were elected Pre

Bitter or Better?

Orange is, in Fact, NOT the New Black I walked into a birthday party a few days after getting out of prison, only to be met with shock--not because I was there, but because I was there and looked like a normal human being.  These were people I have known my whole life, and the consistent theme of the night was, “you look so good.” To be completely honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of it during the evening.  No, it wasn’t until I walked into church the next morning and again was met with the same looks of shock and the same comments of, “wow, you look so good.” Now, by this point, I have to admit, I started to get a bit of a complex.  I was definitely wondering how terrible I must have looked before I went to prison for everyone to be so amazed at the fact that I am tan, healthy, and rested!   And then it hit me. People were amazed at how I looked because, in reality, we have no idea what prison is actually like!  We know what tv and the media tell us pri

Not Today, Satan: Remembering the Truth in the Midst of Satan's Lies

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Other Lies we tell Kids: I ’m not sure if I ever believed in Santa. Growing up, my family members were professional sarcasm slingers and outstanding kings of creativity.  Consequently, it took immense amounts of discernment to actually know when the truth was being told. I spent years with my brother telling me I was adopted and from a different planet.  I think it might have been his sole purpose in life to destroy every one of my childhood paradigms! So, you can imagine what he did with Santa.   I was probably around five or six when he systematically tore apart every detail of the Santa myth for me.  I don’t know how much I actually believed in Santa at that point, but I know that I was done after that! What’s funny about this, is that he spent hours of our childhood trying to convince me of all of these random tales my parents would have killed him for, but when he had the opportunity to expand on the Santa tale, he chose to break it a