Skip to main content

Teaching Grace: Jesus Must Have Been a "Kid Person"


Kid People:
I’m not a kid person.

I know.  I know.  I’m a woman.  I’m a mom.  Statistically speaking, I should be a kid person; however, I can absolutely assure you that I am, in fact, not a kid person.  

I like my own kid, so I feel like that should count for something, but I’ve also raised that kid and talked to her like a little adult since she was...well...born.  I don’t do baby talk.  I feel like a complete moron when I even attempt to talk like that.  It’s not natural to me AT ALL, and it has to be obvious to even the youngest audience that it is not my forte.  

And to all of you kid people out there:  God bless you.  I don’t know how you do it, but God bless your souls.  You have a gift.  Seriously, an amazing gift that God did not bless me with!

My brother has 4 kids: an 11 year old daughter and sons that are 9, 4, and 2 (God bless his soul as well).  I spent the weekend with them, and I didn’t even lock myself in a bathroom or bedroom one time, so I consider that a complete win!  I did threaten to at one point, but that’s another story!  

Within the first five minutes of being in the room with his boys I haven’t seen in a year, I was surrounded.  I sat down on the couch and was immediately climbed on by multiple small children who clearly did not get the memo that I am not a kid person.  Quickly, I became an expert on preschool, trucks, songs, and girlfriends.  Then, I became an expert on blankets, soccer, siblings, and school.  And finally, I became an expert on snuggles.  

All within the first 10 minutes.  

Despite the fact that I hadn’t seen them in a year, these three boys were the epitome of excitement, grace, and love.  And, they modeled that (for the most part) the entire weekend.

I wonder what would happen if we could somehow manage to embrace that excitement, grace, and love and teach our children to continue to live with it as well.  I wonder what would happen if, instead of allowing ourselves and our children to become jaded and cynical, we sought to empower ourselves and our children with that endless capacity for excitement, grace, and love.  I wonder at exactly what point it is that some of us and our kids abandon that excitement, grace, and love and replace them with skepticism, judgment, and apathy.

And I wonder what role we play in that change.

Childlike Faith
I think Jesus was definitely onto something when he talked about becoming like children (clearly he WAS a kid person!).  Matthew 18 describes Jesus’s perspective on being like children:  

At about the same time, the disciples came to Jesus asking, “Who gets the highest rank in God’s kingdom?”

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, “I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it’s the same as receiving me...Doom to the world for giving these God-believing children a hard time! Hard times are inevitable, but you don’t have to make it worse—and it’s doomsday to you if you do.

There’s something so simple and yet so difficult in these words of Jesus.  When the disciples questioned Jesus about who would be greatest in the kingdom, he didn’t hesitate to answer that it would be those who return to the simplicity of children.  I can’t help but think that is precisely the excitement, grace, and love I experienced from my nephews all weekend.  That seems like such an easy idea until you get to the end of Jesus’s words here.  

He explains that hard times are inevitable. 
He explains that people will make these hard times even harder.

And that’s where this gets difficult.  

Somewhere along the way, too many of us have been met with hard times and hard people.  Our childlike excitement, grace, and love has been replaced with skepticism, judgment, and apathy.  

Maybe it’s time for us to trade in our skepticism, judgment, and apathy for the childlike excitement, grace, and love Jesus talks about.

Maybe it’s time for us to forgive the people who have made our hard times even harder.

Maybe it’s time for us to model for our children what excitement, grace, and love look like so they are never tempted to trade them in for skepticism, judgment, and apathy.

Teaching Grace
There is no question that life is hard, that people are hard.  And, I would be lying if I said that some days it seems easier to shut myself in my house than to deal with life and hard people.  But, if I shut myself in my house and avoid the hard, what am I modeling for my own daughter?  If I turn my back on the situations that are hard and the people that are hard, what message am I sending her?  

Most definitely not excitement, grace, and love.

Instead, maybe, just maybe, I can attempt to lean in to the messy and the hard of life with a little bit of excitement, grace, and love. 

Maybe, just maybe, I can embrace the hard people and the hard situations and show them unconditional excitement, grace, and love.  

Maybe, just maybe, that example will be enough to teach my own daughter to never abandon her childlike excitement, grace, and love.

One of the most amazing things about God is His promise that it is never too late for us to change; we are never so far gone that God can’t reshape and rebuild us.  I pray that today will be the day when you begin to relearn the simplicity of childlike excitement, grace, and love.  And, if you have children, I pray that today is the day you encourage them never to lose their excitement, grace, and love.  

Until next time...

Join me at
#tellhisstory



TrekkingThru

purposefulfaith.com

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful post. I am a kid person but not as much now that I'm older. Love my grangirls and I still have 2 at home but they aren't little anymore. I absolutely agree with you and you made me stop to reflect how can I encourage this concept within my home. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are Enough

Middle School Angst I met her in 7th grade. Her name was Angie. And she hated me. And that is a problem when your class is a whopping 100 kids, and you only have one honors class for each subject. Thank God she wasn’t musical at all, or we probably would have had every single class together in junior high and maybe even high school. She didn’t go out of her way to be mean to me; she just made it blatantly obvious that she hated me whenever she got the chance. You know, run of the mill 90s girl drama before social media (thank you, Jesus, for that small blessing). I survived middle school with Angie, and we moved on to high school. We had many of the same friends, but I took more of the sporty, involved route, and she took more of the rebel, party route. We still had tons of classes together, and she still expressed her hatred of me whenever she had the chance, still with no explanation. Finally, during my junior year, we were in a club together, and we were elected Pre

Bitter or Better?

Orange is, in Fact, NOT the New Black I walked into a birthday party a few days after getting out of prison, only to be met with shock--not because I was there, but because I was there and looked like a normal human being.  These were people I have known my whole life, and the consistent theme of the night was, “you look so good.” To be completely honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of it during the evening.  No, it wasn’t until I walked into church the next morning and again was met with the same looks of shock and the same comments of, “wow, you look so good.” Now, by this point, I have to admit, I started to get a bit of a complex.  I was definitely wondering how terrible I must have looked before I went to prison for everyone to be so amazed at the fact that I am tan, healthy, and rested!   And then it hit me. People were amazed at how I looked because, in reality, we have no idea what prison is actually like!  We know what tv and the media tell us pri

Not Today, Satan: Remembering the Truth in the Midst of Satan's Lies

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Other Lies we tell Kids: I ’m not sure if I ever believed in Santa. Growing up, my family members were professional sarcasm slingers and outstanding kings of creativity.  Consequently, it took immense amounts of discernment to actually know when the truth was being told. I spent years with my brother telling me I was adopted and from a different planet.  I think it might have been his sole purpose in life to destroy every one of my childhood paradigms! So, you can imagine what he did with Santa.   I was probably around five or six when he systematically tore apart every detail of the Santa myth for me.  I don’t know how much I actually believed in Santa at that point, but I know that I was done after that! What’s funny about this, is that he spent hours of our childhood trying to convince me of all of these random tales my parents would have killed him for, but when he had the opportunity to expand on the Santa tale, he chose to break it a