Skip to main content

The Invisibility Curse



Christmas Miracles Chaos
I learned the importance of being invisible when I was ten.  


It was Christmas Eve, and, just like every Christmas Eve, we made the ¼ mile trip down the road to my grandma and grandpa’s house.  Both sides of my family subscribed to the family compound philosophy (aka: they all lived within ½ mile of each other); consequently, all of my mom’s family members were crammed into this small house.  

While my grandparents were alive, we thrived on tradition. I never questioned what would happen on a holiday because we had a set plan for each of them. And our Christmas Eve tradition was to go to my Grandma and Grandpa O’Dell’s house with my aunt, her kids, and their kids.  We would eat, someone would read the Christmas story, one of the men would disappear, Santa would show up, the kids would be scarred, the female adults would be embarrassed, gifts would be distributed and opened, and then we would go home. This went down like clockwork every year.  


For this particular Christmas Eve extravaganza, my mom tried to help my aging grandparents out and go shopping for the gifts they would be giving me and my older brother.  This also happened to be the golden age of video cameras, and my parents had just purchased a new one.


All was going as smoothly as you can imagine.  Santa had shown up; several of my cousins had cried; and at least one of my older, adult cousins had been mortified with the quintessential requirement of sitting on Santa’s lap.  One of my parents had the video camera, and my brother and I were on the living room floor, poised and prepared to open our gifts from our grandparents.


I began unwrapping my gift.  Inside the neatly wrapped box was...a hairdryer. See, ten is a really weird age.  It’s one of those ages where no one really knows what to get you because, by this point, parents know if they buy toys, you’ll play for them for a week and then they’ll be shoved in a corner.  But, they also know if they buy you socks and underwear, well, yeah, that’s a hard no. So, my mom thought she was doing me a favor by buying me a hairdryer from my grandparents AND giving me a card with money in it.  That’s an important part of the story. I smiled my obligatory smile and said my obligatory “thank you” before waiting patiently for everyone else to finish opening their gifts.


And this is the point where everything went terribly wrong.


After I opened my hairdryer, my older brother began unwrapping his box, a box that was strangely familiar and similar in size to my own box.  I’ll never forget the look on his face as he opened that box, partly because it’s on video and we still watch it, and partly because it was a look of pure shock.  My older brother promptly lost all of his good sense, looked right at my mom (and consequently at the camera) and said, “a hairdryer” What does a fourteen year old boy need with a hairdryer?”


Crickets.


My mom was mortified.  My dad was laughing. And everyone else was stuck in that awkward place of not knowing whether to laugh or crawl under the table in embarrassment.  At just the moment where you would expect my brother to realize what was happening and die of complete shame, he just kept going. It was one of those slow motion, train-wreck experiences where you can’t really decide if you want it to stop, but you know you can’t quit watching.  My mom tried desperately to explain that she just wanted us to have a gift to open instead of just an envelope of money, but no one was hearing her at that point.


And as it went on and on, I just wanted to will myself to be invisible.  
I was embarrassed  for both my brother and my mom.
And I knew I never wanted to be in either of their shoes ever.



Being Invisible
I spent my teenage years carefully orchestrating and attempting to control any situation where I might be forced to endure the same embarrassment and laughter I witnessed that night.  I avoided situations of uncertainty like the plague. As long as I could control my variables, I was okay. As long as I was confident in what I was doing and knew what to expect, I was comfortable being on stage and in front of people, but as soon as an element of uncertainty was introduced, my anxiety would rear its ugly head, and I would do everything in my power to hide it.   At conventions or school events, when they asked for volunteers to go on stage, I would avoid eye contact and pray I wasn’t picked, willing myself to once again become invisible.


As a senior in high school, I was voted on the prom court.  This meant that I had to walk all the way across the gym, up the stage stairs, and stand on the stage for what seemed like an eternity while everyone at the prom watched.  And then, I would have to stand there awkwardly as the king and queen were crowned. And then, I would have to dance with a random other member of the court, again while everyone watched.  And, to make my anxiety even worse, my boyfriend at the time felt the need to tell his aunt, who was doing my hair for the big event, that, yeah, I was on the court, but there was no way I would win.


Seriously, God, could you please just make me invisible and make this go away?


I responded like a champ and simply didn’t talk to him the rest of the night!  
Avoidance for the win!


But not really.



The Problem with Invisibility
Here’s the problem with invisibility:  if you are invisible, you can’t be seen, and not being seen is deadly.  It’s deadly because it kills your authenticity and replaces it with an image.  And, no one can live up to an image forever. Eventually, the veneer will crack, and people will get glimpses of who you really are.  They’ll get glimpses of the you that throws a fit because a 14 yr old boy has no use for a hair dryer. They’ll get glimpses of the you that is petrified to be center stage in uncertainty with everyone staring at her.  They’ll get glimpses of the you that is anxious, hurting, emotional, vulnerable, and scared.


The real you.
And that’s scary as hell.
Okay, maybe not quite as scary as hell, but you get the idea!


We live in a world that is crafted, created, airbrushed, edited, revised, and posted.  
A world that is driven by likes, followers, swipes, retweets, and shares.
A world that isn’t real.
A world where more value is placed on an image than on authenticity.
A world where connections happen more often between screens than actual human beings.
A world where it would sometimes be easier to just be invisible.


But we have a choice.
We have the choice to fall prey to the invisibility curse and maintain our images, or we have the choice to show our real, messy, ugly, vulnerable, hurting, and scared selves to the world.


Without the editing.
Without the revisions.
Without the need for likes, shares, swipes, and retweets.
Our real selves.


And there’s freedom, and redemption, and beauty, and truth in showing our real selves to the world and overcoming the invisibility curse.  There will be undoubtably be moments of embarrassment, moments of discomfort, and moments where hiding and being invisible seem easier than being real.

But, maybe today is the day you can take the chance to be real, to show your authentic, unedited, imperfect self to the world.

Comments

  1. Unfortunately I lived a big portion of my life striving to be as invisible as I possibly could. It wasn’t until God brought me to a place where I had no choice to be seen that I started to try to show more of me so others could see Him! It took heartbreak, loss and darkness to stir in me the desire to be seen. My humanness still likes to revert to hiding but my spiritual being knows it’s better to be vulnerable and be seen! Being REAL, Being Authentically Seen is tough but the rewards are so worth it!

    Thank you my friend for being BRAVE and not being invisible anymore! I SEE YOU and I SEE GOD working in and through you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't let you hide again, my friend! Thanks for the encouragement :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are Enough

Middle School Angst I met her in 7th grade. Her name was Angie. And she hated me. And that is a problem when your class is a whopping 100 kids, and you only have one honors class for each subject. Thank God she wasn’t musical at all, or we probably would have had every single class together in junior high and maybe even high school. She didn’t go out of her way to be mean to me; she just made it blatantly obvious that she hated me whenever she got the chance. You know, run of the mill 90s girl drama before social media (thank you, Jesus, for that small blessing). I survived middle school with Angie, and we moved on to high school. We had many of the same friends, but I took more of the sporty, involved route, and she took more of the rebel, party route. We still had tons of classes together, and she still expressed her hatred of me whenever she had the chance, still with no explanation. Finally, during my junior year, we were in a club together, and we were elected Pre

Bitter or Better?

Orange is, in Fact, NOT the New Black I walked into a birthday party a few days after getting out of prison, only to be met with shock--not because I was there, but because I was there and looked like a normal human being.  These were people I have known my whole life, and the consistent theme of the night was, “you look so good.” To be completely honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of it during the evening.  No, it wasn’t until I walked into church the next morning and again was met with the same looks of shock and the same comments of, “wow, you look so good.” Now, by this point, I have to admit, I started to get a bit of a complex.  I was definitely wondering how terrible I must have looked before I went to prison for everyone to be so amazed at the fact that I am tan, healthy, and rested!   And then it hit me. People were amazed at how I looked because, in reality, we have no idea what prison is actually like!  We know what tv and the media tell us pri

Not Today, Satan: Remembering the Truth in the Midst of Satan's Lies

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Other Lies we tell Kids: I ’m not sure if I ever believed in Santa. Growing up, my family members were professional sarcasm slingers and outstanding kings of creativity.  Consequently, it took immense amounts of discernment to actually know when the truth was being told. I spent years with my brother telling me I was adopted and from a different planet.  I think it might have been his sole purpose in life to destroy every one of my childhood paradigms! So, you can imagine what he did with Santa.   I was probably around five or six when he systematically tore apart every detail of the Santa myth for me.  I don’t know how much I actually believed in Santa at that point, but I know that I was done after that! What’s funny about this, is that he spent hours of our childhood trying to convince me of all of these random tales my parents would have killed him for, but when he had the opportunity to expand on the Santa tale, he chose to break it a